Re: [TCML] live pigs on the ground

That's an old 3phase 480Volt 3-wire Delta service. Very rare these days as
most services are 4-wire wye 277/480 volts with the neutral grounded for
safety. I have seen services like this before....very scary indeed. Also;
240/480 volt secondaries are becoming obsolete for services because it is
much cheaper for a utility to buy only 120/240 or 277 volt xfmrs. A 240/480
volt xfmr cannot be used on a 277/480 wye service; but...a 277 volt xfmr
can provide both 277/480 wye or straight 480 volt, 3 phase delta service if
required, so you only need to buy two kinds of xfmrs:

120/240 volts can provide the following depending on connection: 120/240
volts for lights and appliances, 120/208 volt wye or 120/240 volt 4 wire
delta (used for three phase and lights)

277 volts can provide the following depending on connection: 277/480 volt
wye or 480 volt delta.

240/480 volt transformers are generally connected only 480 volt delta. They
can be configured to provide other voltages not generally used in this
country.

Hope this provides some understanding.

Spark on!
Woo