RE: [TCML] Terry filters (speaker/motor load modeling)

Hi Phil:

It sounds like you have a far better understanding of motor theory than I do (which truthfully is very little); perhaps you can point out where my reasoning leaves the tracks.

My thinking is that in a loaded motor, the lion's share of the power consumed is delivered to the mechanical load.  In a simulation model, this power must leave the model, and the only mechanism to do this is to burn off that power in a resistor to represent the mechanical load.  If the correct model for a motor is predominantly inductive as you suggest, I don't see where the power delivered to the mechanical load is accounted for, as the power dissipated in an inductor is zero.

I agree that an unloaded motor is best modeled as inductive, but that adding a load must add resistive loading.

Thanks, Gary Lau
MA, USA