Re: [TCML] Teaching Coiling

Hi John,

There's a difference between teaching and learning. Teaching in my experience involves a methodology of steps to get from A to B. It really has to be in a controlled environment. The TCML is not such a venue for this. Teaching on the TCML is simply coilers sharing their experiences and knowledge. Learning however is in the hands of the coiler. They will ask questions and study up on the topics they want to know about.

Coiling is certainly more involved than just gathering parts and building a coil. Some want to understand the physics, but some just want sparks. I think the best the TCML members can do is advise on each individual situation and hold nothing back.

Take care,
Bart

Dr. John W. Gudenas wrote:
Bart, here is the new thread you suggested. I will start it off and hopefully it will maintain some sense of continuity and stay on coil building. It would be useful to have some sort of consensus about what it actually means to "teach coiling," albeit, I suspect that will not happen.

Is "teaching coiling" simply providing an algorithm that anyone who has a basic knowledge of electrical wiring can follow? If so, then the TCML has done an amazing job. With the Tesla model building programs developed by Paul and others this has been accomplished.

However, I prefer to think that there is more to it than that. Consider advancing old technology to new technology. I have been on this list for quite a while and read, watched and experimented with spark gap coils, VTTC 's SSTC's to DRSSTC ( solid state coiling still amazes me, even though I finally understand how the process works ). Our list members developed and published new technology about coil building and created the "state of the art".

Should history be neglected? Every primary science course investigates the historical events in its discipline. The TCML has members dedicated to rebuilding and preserving historical devices. Jeff Behary has accumulated an astounding collection of devices and literature. There is always something to learn from history.

How about the conceptual foundation of resonant circuits? How can any individual say they "understand" how a coil works without the conceptual foundation? The TCML has always had members more than willing to share their academic knowledge. My good friend Bert Hickman always comes through as well as other list members. Obviously this knowledge level developed the modeling programs.

Our coils are indeed, complex objects, and their level of complexity will depend on the user requirements and desires. Some will learn just how to make big sparks and others will dig deep into electromagnetic fields, solid state electronics. streamer and plasma development, commercial applications and many other directions.

Sometimes I have a transfer student from a community college who doesn't, for example, want to take a course in Operating Systems. The student will indicate that he knows all about Unix, Linux, Mac/Os, Solaris , etc. I simply respond, "That is good and certainly useful, but I'll teach you how to write an operating system." Few people need to know how to develop and write an OS, but many need to know how to use them. I believe It is the same with teaching coiling, some will get to some conceptual foundation, but most will become educated users and builders.
John W. G.

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science