Re: New list? Was Re: [TCML] Threadkill -- RQ Non-coiling stuff

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Chip Atkinson wrote:

> boils down to judgement calls in many circumstances.

Certainly.

However, if we could agree to choose a single existing forum, where TCML
threads could be moved, then your decisions would never need to be harsh.
Supposing that "USA-TESLA" or one of those yahoo groups was the list
always used for this, then you'd never have to do things like block TCML
users from talking with RQ about his recent life events.

Obviously we can all contact him for private news.  But then he has to
respond to five or ten (or fifty?) people separately.  And those who'd
rather just listen in cannot do so.  TCML community isn't in on the talk,
and the whole point of having a forum and an online group is lost in
that particular case.

In other words...  Jeeze, this is the internet, and if half of a group
really wants to talk with someone, while the other half doesn't, we don't
have to side with just one half, instead it's trivial to do both.

And about all those weirdo topics that Chip *wants* to kill, he of course
would still have that option:  either telling everyone "take this to the
group TCML-bar-and-grill@yahoo," or telling everyone that the thread is
dead.

Thinking further...  BBS forums rarely have a single section, instead
they'll have a central area, plus a "how do I unsubscribe" technical
channel, plus an unmoderated "joe's tavern" where the whole community can
hobnob about anything.  Take for example THE STRAIGHT DOPE science board.
Of course it wouldn't make sense for this email-only forum to have *NINE*
sections like straighdope/sdmb/.  But what about a single, perhaps even
unofficial/unmoderated, "joe's tavern" feature?

Then there's the slippery slope! :)  Add a TCML-announce list for people
who want to hear about Teslathons, but who can't stand the high traffic of
the main list.  But you know where that will lead.  Soon the subscribers
on TCML-oiltank-secondaries will get into a huge fight with the people on
TCML-rebuild-wardenclyffe, while TCML-IGBT-watercooled laughs and laughs.

William J. Beaty                http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/
beaty chem washington edu       Research Engineer
billbamascicom                  UW Chem Dept,  Bagley Hall RM74
206-543-6195                    Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700