Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:24 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Running a TC in snow

Precipitation is FAR from distilled water. Ever hear of acid rain? The water dissolves gasses and particulates as it's floating around in a cloud, and while falling. I'd also like to point out that unless your coil is below freezing, snow will melt upon contact. Though my garage is uninsulated and unheated, it's normally a good bit warmer than outside, due to heat escaping from the adjacent wall. Also, your gap will heat up pretty fasy, and the caps may warm up, as well as any conductor that is carrying a lot of current.

I probably wouldn't worry too much about the primary side, but if the secondary manages to get a little damp, it may lead to racing sparks, flashover, or something else undesireable. As long as you're a safe distance away, I'd be more worried about damaging the secondary than you getting hurt. That's assuming you and your control panel are inside and dry.

Adam