Re: [TCML] TC Newbie

Yes, both WinTesla and Javatc will do fine. For a specific MMC calculator, then JavaMMC may help (both at classictesla.com).

However, I did update the original MMC Design chart about 1 year ago (it may help with selection).
http://www.classictesla.com/download/mmc_cap_chart.pdf

Take care,
Bart

G Hunter wrote:
Yes.  When the output impedance of the power supply matches the reactance of the capacitor, you have achieved the mains resonant cap value.  For your 7.5kv/40ma unit operating at 50Hz, this value is about 17nF.  To reduce stress on the cap and transformer, you should oversize the cap about 1.2 to 1.5 times the resonant value.  20 - 25nF should be about right.  I didn't really just work this out.  I used Tesla coil design software.  Google it.  WinTesla works well.  JAVATC is another one.

YT,

Greg