Re: [TCML] Salient Pole Query

Phil,

Yes, it's because you're in the UK that hte motor is 1425rpm.
After you modify the motor it will run synchronous at 1500 rpm.

Yes, the motor is suitable.

I always ignore the dead pole concept.  I just make the width of
the  flats a certain proportion of the total armature diameter.
After modification the motor will run hotter and have less torque.

The dead pole concept may become more important for much
larger motors.

1/4 the dia of armature works well.  So if your armature is 3" dia,
then make the flats 3/4" wide.  Since you have a four pole motor,
grind 4 flats.

I show my electronic phase shifter circuit for adjusting the sync
phase at my website:  (also some sync rotary gaps can be seen there.)

  http://futuret.110mb.com

John