RE: [TCML] Rectifying a Tesla coil

Tony,
Its funny, almost all of the early Tesla X-ray machines had special X-Ray tubes - most of the rectification took place inside of the X-Ray tube due to special geometries of electrodes, etc.
This is one of the rarest surviving examples:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/FischerFamilyX-RayTube/index.htm

But point-plane, point-plate, etc. is possible, but to what degree?   I am still experimenting.  It is great fun, not sure how successful I will be.
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/27August2008/index.htm

I know the sound and appearance of the spark can change dramatically, but I think certain coils will work better than others for this, and lots of little adjustments here and there .  Crude movie:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/27August2008/StaticTest.wmv

I was using a point - plane output of the Pancake Coils to charge two 6" spheres.   One coil had a thin wire output, leading to a large plane (6" ball), the other a plane (metal knob, thanks to Brian Foley for sending those!) discharging to a point (a fine wire) leading to the other 6" sphere.  I think so far a certain adjustment is neccessary between the point and plane to truely rectify  it.  These effects were interesting (and different) whether a brush discharge occured between the points and planes, or a spark discharge - and if a spark discharge, how much sparking was there effected what kind of output the spheres had, at least as far as sound and appearance.  Lots more experimentation needed.  I'll resume these experiments over the weekend, but do not have much time unfortunately.

The old Ventril or Villard tubes (hard to find, I never saw one outside of communist territories) were high vacuum point-plane rectifiers (many made X-Rays when in use).  They had a point for one electrode, and normally a large spiral of large surface area for the other electrode, simple Crookes Tubes.

Look at Kinraide's patents for point-planes in normal atmosphere:

US Patent 676,583 Electrical Apparatus
US Patent 689,199 Electrode
US Patent 689,096 Electrical Apparatus
Also
Uk Patent:
12,408 Improvements in and Relating To Static Rectifires and Electrical Apparatus Etc.

He refers to induction coils in the patents, but from his other work and patents he used the term loosly to apply to both induction coils and high frequency coils.

Kinraide mentioned in one article a Tesla Coil he built discharging 30" positive sparks in the air 1/2 thick, and when the current was reversed the sparks would be negative, 7" long, and 1" thick.
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2005/CuriousElectricalForms/index.htm

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for those experiments.
I know there still exists some 22 x 28" negatives he made of this work.  I am waiting for the chance to see and photograph them, because I think they will hold many answers...

Until then I guess!
Jeff