[TCML] Off topic: Request for help with transformer construction

Greetings,

This is off topic but as stated below, there's is likely someone who knows
enough to help Brian.  Please reply to him directly at
brian.korsedal@xxxxxxxxx

Chip Atkinson

Forwarded message below:
Hi,

Sorry for the flashy email.  I'm working with the Fab Lab in San Diego
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fab_lab ).  We are building a project
designed to measure power flowing through a wall socket.  We want to
build a real simple transformer using a washer (as in nut, bolt and
washer) that we can get down at home depot.  We are guessing that we
wrap one of the wires from the wall socket around the washer a few
times and then wrap a smaller wire around the washer a few times.  We
need a DC output to run our display.  It should be about 5V DC but
should vary according to the power being used by the wall socket.

We want to build something like this:

http://electronicdesign.com/Files/29/3378/Figure_01.gif

but simpler.

If you guys could help out with the transformer and ac to dc
conversion, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

-Brian