Re: [TCML] Primary

Hey Stan...

with a 15/30 2" is about right. Considering that if your beginning point is approximately 2" from the secondary and by the time you make one full turn and its 2.5" from the secondary seems to be in the normal range. Go ahead and run the coil and see what results you get ( ehhh 20" - 30" streamers is a good avg.) if you are getting less than 20", start looking at gap width, cap size. If the gap width and cap size are falling within standard operating conditions, consider looking at raising the secondary up to 1-2" higher than what it is at now. Try to do it in 1/4" increments ( 1/4" ply, tile, etc...) until you see an increase in streamer length or a decrease in length. Usually you will see an increase during the raising, and if you go too high a decrease.

On most of my coils I have made, I have left a minimum of 2" clearance between the primary and secondary. On the bigger coils ( 6"+) there has been 3" clearance.

Scot D

stanley miller wrote:

Hi again guys,

I got my primary done today, and to my dismay half way thru realized the spacing between primary and secondary was not going to be as I had calculated which was to be 2" inches.  My problem is I started the first turn right at 2" and built out from there so as it comes around I end up with about a 2 1/2" inch gap between the primary and secondary.  I have read that the gap should be between 1 to 2" inches so this might be pushing it with a 15/30 nst.  Regardless I finished winding it and it came out pretty good.  I did wind it with more turns then necessary as I want to be able to use it in the future on a bigger ma rated nst.  The secondary is already done it is 4" inch dia by 22'' with 24 awg.
So my question is will I lose good coupling with this large of a gap?  If so at this point the easiest thing to change would be to make another secondary with a bigger dia.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Stan