[TCML] solid state source

Hello, I havent read the mailing list emails in a while, so this question has most likely already popped up.  If so, could someone guide me to the place the answer would be at?
So, I was reading about these new inverter welders that you can buy and I got thinking why a solid state high voltage source would not be possible?  Is it possible to replace an NST with a solid state source?  If so, would someone be able to rig up a quick schematic or link me to an existing place to find one?
Thanks a lot,

Daniel