Re: [TCML] mmc cap protection by spark-gaps-any ideas?

Gary:

On Aug 19, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Lau, Gary wrote:

The resistors you discuss in DC power supplies are used for an entirely different reason than why they're used in MMC's. In MMC's, the power is AC, and the voltage division is determined solely by the ratio if the capacitances. The bleeder resistor values are far higher than the AC capacitive reactance, so the resistors have no bearing on voltage division ratios.

When you connect a series string of resistors across a voltage source, a.c. or d.c. the voltage drop across each resistor depends upon the current through the string and since each individual resistor is in parallel with a capacitor, the a.c. or d.c. voltage drop will be the same across both capacitor and resistor.

The wire wound resistors used in the radio PS need to be high power (which makes them more failure-prone) because the leakage current of electrolytic is extremely variable over time and temperature, so the resistor must be chosen to be significantly lower in resistance to guarantee that IT determines the division ratio and not the variable leakage resistance. That's just not the case in MMC bleeder resistors.
The bleeder resistor across the output of a power supply is chosen as part of the filter system and in many cases the filter system consists of nothing but resistors and capacitors in a typical a.c./dc cheap plastic radio. I don't think you noticed that the voltage involved in the accident was 6 kv. That in itself should indicate that in so far as the accident as concerned it did not involve electrolytic capacitors. The capacitors involved were General Electric, Pyranol, (oil filled) 1 mfd. 10 kv. working. The bleeder resistors were there to help the regulation of the power supply. Just what do the resistors do in an MMC? So far as I can see the MMC is the equivalent of a single capacitor with low dielectric resistance.

If it might diminish your horror, consider that the likelihood of _ALL_ of the many bleeder resistors in an MMC failing open is very remote. The consequence of just one failing isn't that great. And even if they did, the discharge path formed by the NST or other transformer would ALSO have to fail for there to be a genuine hazard.

I have no horror of getting killed. As a matter of fact, I don't know you and you don't know me so neither of us should have any horror of the other getting killed. Of course if enough of us get killed playing with Tesla coils we can expect Big Daddy to step in and outlaw them as toys. That would be a disaster for a lot of nice people. So out of common courtesy we should observe Safety First.

Any electrical shock any time and of any magnitude has the potential of being a hazard. What can go wrong will go wrong.

It's not clear what you are proposing as an alternative. If you are suggesting that folks not use bleeder resistors and instead use a manual shorting stick every time they turn off their coil, I would counter that: 1) Shorting just the ends of the MMC won't guarantee that the individual caps are all at zero charge. 2) I would bet any money that users are more likely to neglect to use the shorting stick, than there would be massive failures of all bleeder resistors.

I am not proposing any circuit changes. The use of resistors in a MMC is wholly justified but for good electronic reasons and NOT FOR SAFETY. The MMC itself is a work around to keep the cost of the hobby down. Nothing wrong with that.

I believe that it's far safer to have a 2nd tier safety mechanism (bleeders) that is always present (the 1st tier is the presence of the transformer winding), than to have a 2nd tier mechanism that requires considerable diligence and is likely to be ignored.

My statement is that bleeder resistors across capacitors are not there for reasons of personnel safety. There are many readers of this list who have little or no experience with electronics in general nor high voltage in particular. To hold out the concept that it is safe to turn off the power to a Tesla coil and then get your fingers in it strikes me as being just plain bad practice. Your are of course right that safety devices are often ignored. Some people have been known to park a car on a hill with out setting the emergency brake nor putting the car in park. I doubt you are advising people not to provide a shorting or grounding stick because they might not use it. There is no doubt that bleeder resistors do provide some safety, but they are not designed to be either fail safe nor infallible.

It should be pointed out that the retained charge in a capacitor is d.c. They do not hold an a.c. charge (if there were such a thing). As to a Tesla coil operating at a "high" frequency having anything to do with it, I would remind you that "High" in the case of the Tesla coil is only relevant to the 50/60 Hz. line voltage. Most operate within the low or medium frequency range.

The mention was made in another post of the fact that capacitors with a high voltage rating are often shipped with their terminals shorted. Who ever shipped them was looking out for the next fellow. Capacitors can frequently be charged by static electricity while in storage or transit.

Frankly, I am wondering why we are having this discussion. How many times have people on this list commented on the fact they have been "bit" by a turned off coil and they should have waited longer. Any thing we can do to keep some one from being hurt is worth doing.

I still want an explanation as to what you think the resistors do in an MMC capacitor bank.

Safe coiling
Ray