RE: [TCML] mmc cap protection by spark-gaps-any ideas?

The resistors you discuss in DC power supplies are used for an entirely different reason than why they're used in MMC's.  In MMC's, the power is AC, and the voltage division is determined solely by the ratio if the capacitances.  The bleeder resistor values are far higher than the AC capacitive reactance, so the resistors have no bearing on voltage division ratios.

The wire wound resistors used in the radio PS need to be high power (which makes them more failure-prone) because the leakage current of electrolytics is extremely variable over time and temperature, so the resistor must be chosen to be significantly lower in resistance to guarantee that IT determines the division ratio and not the variable leakage resistance.  That's just not the case in MMC bleeder resistors.

If it might diminish your horror, consider that the likelihood of _ALL_ of the many bleeder resistors in an MMC failing open is very remote.  The consequence of just one failing isn't that great.  And even if they did, the discharge path formed by the NST or other transformer would ALSO have to fail for there to be a genuine hazard.

It's not clear what you are proposing as an alternative.  If you are suggesting that folks not use bleeder resistors and instead use a manual shorting stick every time they turn off their coil, I would counter that:
1) Shorting just the ends of the MMC won't guarantee that the individual caps are all at zero charge.
2) I would bet any money that users are more likely to neglect to use the shorting stick, than there would be massive failures of all bleeder resistors.

I believe that it's far safer to have a 2nd tier safety mechanism (bleeders) that is always present (the 1st tier is the presence of the transformer winding), than to have a 2nd tier mechanism that requires considerable diligence and is likely to be ignored.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA