Re: [TCML] SISG - now with a "real" pig coil

In a message dated 8/15/08 1:30:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, f-h@xxxx
writes:

>With a primary Z of  15.8 ohms and a firing voltage of 21.6kV  you are

>looking at primary currents in the range of  1300Amps.
>

>If you are using the "standard" IGBT`s, I`d say that is too high a  current.

That's what I've been saying all along. I just  felt like throwing some money
away to prove it. :) Anyhow, the absolute peak  pulse currents for the
IRGPS60B120KDP was extrapolated to an estimated  800 Amps. I think that's actually a
good number to stay below.
    I suppose I could add some resistive ballasting  (as Dan Macauley
discovered with his DRSSTC II). It would be interesting to  see if it still performs
well.
    The whole SISG section is unprotected. I think  for higher powered coils
it needs to be enclosed in a steel box! Kinda hard to  protect it against
transients (strikes to the cap or power supply) when the  SISG itself is one heck
of a crowbar!

>If a IGBT fails, the sidacs are sure to follow in short  order.

And vice versa. I've had one IGBT where the gate  insulation was intact, but
it still shorted the C to E on the body. That  definitely points to too high
an instantaneous current.

>A Pearson is your best friend.

    Wanna mail me one? :)
    I had played around a bit with the coil  parameters before I built it to
keep Z surge above 15 Ohms minimum, since that  seemed to be "within the
bounds of good taste". As it is, I'm thinking of  going to a bigger toroid to get
more primary Z, and maybe adding some series  static gaps as well as running
the rotary.
    Terry Fritz suggested better tuning, which of  course I need to do
anyhow. But it's a little iffy trying to tune just right  for a ASRSG at full power,
and then expect it to be perfect for a SISG. And if  the tuning is just a
hair off with the SISG, well, I killed one section in  about 20 seconds.
    I think the SISG is fantastic -  just  respect the limitations
as-designed. Some folks are working on BRSISG's using  BRicks. Maybe a nice fit since my
Fres is down to 50kHz. BTW I'm working on a  portable small-twin coil setup
using the SISG, where the quiet, dark,  maintenance-free factor is outstanding.

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

Read reviews on AOL Autos.