Re: [TCML] 1,000uF 250V pulse cap needed

Chris Swinson wrote:
Hi all,

My array of 470nF caps seems to have died. Had these all in parallel and going to be near impossible to separate them.

So does anyone know anywhere to obtain any higher value caps than 470nF at 250VDC ? I need to make up to 1,000uF. The caps I am using are cheap ones form rapid, though seem to be really crap anyway. So as I am going to have to dismantle and rebuild, then wonder if there is a low cost source of caps that I can just replace the entire bank with. These have to be able to withstand pulses so unfortunately I don't think electrolytic are up to the job.

cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

One thought - you may be able to find the shorted cap(s) by applying a source of moderate voltage at moderate/high current through the bank, such as the output from a 10A Variac powered through an inductive ballast to appropriately limit voltage and current. The cap that gets hot will be the defective one.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured