Re: [TCML] Toroid Problems

Hi Nicholas,

Herr Zapp already explained the wiring issues and I agree with all he said. Something regarding soldering I wanted to say because I noticed a lot of soldering. When it comes to tank wiring connections, I recommend screws and terminals. Even for the tube gap. The 2 end electrodes could easily have a hole drilled at the end to the side where a brass screw would make a decent lug (this is what I do on tube connections. The same is true even for the MMC pc board. It just makes for good connections all around.

I also agree with keeping the tank wiring as short as is practical. The 2 wires which connect the primary inside and outside turns are part of the tank inductance, but the inductance of the wiring is different in value as opposed to the primary winding because it is off-axis and acts more like a straight wire inductance. If you get the chance, throw some numbers in Javatc at some point. Javatc has inputs for primary lead wiring also which is accounted for in the tuning process.

All in all, the coil looks good! I think losses are your problems. Also when Bert Hickman spoke of air flow "through" the pipes, he's absolutely correct about that. Make sure that fan is cooling both external and internal pipe surfaces. BTW, keep your eye open for at least a 12/60 NST. This coil would love more power.

Take care,
Bart

Nicholas J. Goble wrote:
I just posted a set of pictures of my coil on Flickr.com. By the way Neal, the Science and Surplus store that I was at was located at 5316 N. Milwaukee Avenue, right where 90 merges with 94.

Here's the link to my set of pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28523883@N06/sets/72157606573696858/

Thanks for all your help

Nicholas Goble