Re: [TCML] New Coil Design - and JAVATC question

Hi Thomas,

The 1.5" distance is fine. As far as the unused primary turns, they do add C, but the outer turns will do little to change Fr. No way to automatically account for them. But, there is a way manually. Make a ring for each turn (using a toroid object input with "grounded" selected) and position one for each unused turn at the horizontal plane of the primary at each turns diameter. I went ahead and did this mainly to show the difference, and I accounted for a 15 turn primary tapped at 11 turns.

With unused turns not accounted for, Fr was 244.71 kHz. With the unused turns accounted, Fr was 244.67 kHz. So as you can see, it's not worth the trouble. If it was a helical primary or sharp inv-cone, then there would be a greater affect. Still, the program just isn't written for that. In order to do that, the unused turns would have to be converted into objects, and every object inserted slows the program down a lot.

Take care,
Bart

Ryckmans, Thomas wrote:
Hi Bart, everyone

Many thanks for your answer. It certainly makes sense to increase separation between primary and secondary. I have now increased radius of Primary to 9 cm (3.54 inches) and Secondary is 5.2 cm (2.04 inches) thus separation is 3.8 cm (1.5 inches). The question I have about JAVATC is the following;

It seems that JAVATC is trying to fit the number of turns to the outer diameter used as input. In practice (... only one run in my case!) I guess we try to wind a reasonnable primary, then tap onto the correct turn. Thus I'd like to have a 15 turns primary with 9cm (3.54 inches) inner radius using my 8mm (.315 inches) tubing with 8mm (.315 inches) spacing edge-to-edge. This gives me an outer radius of 33 cm (13 inches). The primary should be tuned at around 11 turns, so I calculated the corresponding outer radius (26.6 cm, 10.47 inches) and used that as input for JAVATC. However, are'nt the extra, outer turns going to influence the capacitance of the primary?

In other words... is there an option I could use in JAVATC to say "I will be using 15 turns with such and such radiuses, where should I tap.