Re: bang power ? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:22:29 EDT
From: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: bang power ? (fwd)

In a message dated 9/29/07 1:22:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>In the example I provided for Chris, I assumed that we used the  same

>primary before and after (i.e., "all other things remain the same"

>except for doubling Cp). However, the primary tap location needed  to

>change in order to halve Lp so that we could bring the system back  into

>tune. But changing the primary tap has the effect of changing the

>primary's effective outer diameter. Since this changes the  geometric

>relationship between primary and secondary, we do, in fact, alter  "k".

    Thanks for clearing this up!
    This would be one argument for the classic use of  variable off-axis
inductance for tuning - it doesn't affect "k".
    Also a good reason for using a "good number" of  turns on the primary -
along with less frequency tuning  sensitivity, it would have less effect on
coupling. Which relates to why I  was looking at Dr. Rzeszotarski's paper. I was
checking to see if I was within  recommended "surge impedance" guidelines
(although it seems this rule of thumb  has either been ignored or disproved since
then).
    Tuning the primary by moving the tap along the  *inside* turns would give
finer frequency tuning with a correspondingly smaller  change in "k", correct?

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities