Re: Spark Gap Sustaining Current (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:31:52 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Spark Gap Sustaining Current (fwd)

If you supply current continuously then the spark will be continuous.
However, if it has a significant capacitance with an actual capacitor or
simply large enough electrodes (scch as a TC toroid) then then the spark
will discharge the capacitor and the voltage will drop. The spark will
extinguish in sub-microsecond times and will only spark again when the
capacitance recharges. This type of spark is bright white, noisy and single.
http://tesladownunder.com/HVBrokenSparksRightPos1.jpg
Consider a supply terminated by a resistor or inductor. Then when a spark
forms, the current will not be drained to near zero as the current is
limited and voltage remains present. The spark can be continuous if the
voltage supply is able to supply this current. This type of spark is a soft
orange glow, quiet and continuous.
http://tesladownunder.com/Flybackbentarc.jpg
The parameters differentiating the two include the current available
continuously, voltage, capacitance, resistance and inductance.
If you try to have a continuous spark with very little current then even the
small capacitance of a length of wire may become significant and make the
sparks intermittent rather than continuous.  Alternatively, corona will draw
enough current to drain the voltage so no spark forms.
Peter