Re: Vacuum Tube Tesla Coil Design (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:55:20 -0500
From: James <mustang3@xxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Vacuum Tube Tesla Coil Design (fwd)

Hi Brad, I've been using the same schematic for 40+ years now. The main
change in my design is I place the tickler coil (feedback) beneath the
primary coil. This prevents flashover from the secondary. One of my toob
coils uses a 3CX3000F1 triode, 6" X 26" secondary wound with #30 wire.
Primary coil is 32T #10 THHN house wire on a 14" diameter form, primary cap
is .006@xxxxxx, tickler coil is 17T #20 hookup wire wound on same form. The
grid leak is a .01@5000V and the resistor is 2.7K@300W. The power supply is
a 7.2KV pole xmfr with a FW bridge rectifier. With 5KV on the tube, it draws
75A from the wall (@240V). This coil has about 30-32" corona. Melts a piece
of #10 copper wire in a few seconds. I have an O'scope with a high voltage
probe so that I can observe the grid of the tube during operation. I also
have a spectrum analyzer so I can see the fundamental frequency and any
harmonics that pop up. I have a lot of fun with the tube coils. My first one
used an 811, not even an 811A. It worked well. I used it to drive an old
vacuum tube for x-rays. Turns out that x-ray PS was a principal use for
TC's. Later, James