Re: plans (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:27:09 -0500
From: Crispy <crispy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: plans (fwd)

That sounds like the first coil I built.  I don't have exact plans for
it, but here are the general specs:

Power supply:
	Interface consisted of an analog ammeter, voltmeter, circuit breaker
(15A), and two light switches (one for main power and one for the spark
gap blower power).
	The whole thing was built into a kitchen cabinet.
	Two MOTs in series were used as a base.
	Current was limited capacitatively on the high voltage side as part of
the voltage doubler.  The voltage doubler used 5 microwave capacitors
and 2 microwave diodes (the diodes were in series).
	The filter consisted of a few high voltage ceramic capacitors in
parallel with the high voltage output and some hand-wound inductors in
series.
	The output to power the spark gap blower was also filtered in a similar
manner.
	The supply was connected via a 12ft cord to the base of the coil.
	See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZL2__G2dzU for a video of the power
supply.

Spark Gap:
	This was a static gap consisting of two tungsten rods mounted in a PVC
pipe and adjusted just by moving them.  The 2" PVC pipe fit perfectly
onto a hair drier my sister had, so that is used to quench it.  It works
very well.

Tank capacitor:
	This was just an MMC using some panasonic capacitors.  It was 35nF
total.  You might want to use different capacitors though, such as the
CDE ones.

Primary coil:
	This was built on a piece of wood fastened to a plastic table.  Screws
were screwed into the wood in a spiral pattern and copper tubing was
wound around them.

Secondary coil:
	This was 4" diameter, about 3' long.  It used 22AWG magnet wire, and
the end product was coated in polyurethane.

Topload:
	The topload consists of drier ducting with aluminum tape on it plus a
metal bowl.

A video that's an overview of the construction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhRY_sOKMwo
A video of operation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVcw3KoVBtk

Hope this helps,
Chris