RE: anyone know a good TC set up (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:53:31 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: anyone know a good TC set up (fwd)

The only thing amazing about the capacitor you suggest is that anyone
would pay $559, when one could build an equivalent MMC cap for a
fraction of that.  The capacitor uF value necessary can't be determined
unless the transformer current rating, spark gap type
(static/sync/async), and mains-frequency are specified.  .05uF would be
too large for common 12 or 15kV NST's.

Using a leaf blower on a static gap is needless overkill.  For multiple
stage gaps, a small fan is adequate, and in my experience (I've tried),
increasing the flow beyond that produces no benefit.  For single-stage
(i.e. sucker) gaps, a more focused air flow is needed and a vacuum
cleaner motor is better there, but again, less than full motor power is
adequate and blowing/sucking harder produces no benefit.

Gary Lau
MA, USA