Tesla magnifiers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 21:33:29 +0000
From: jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Tesla magnifiers

Hello all I am researching about the tesla magnifier for an AP physics
paper at school and I read a bunch of sites about how it works and I am
still really confused.  basically I think I understand that the primary
should be of a low inductance and should have a high coupling with the
secondary which should be of a slightly larger inductance, and that the
point of that is to generate a high voltage through normal transformer
action no resonance.  This is where I am lost how is the resonant
frequency of the 3rd coil found.  Is it a sum of the secondary inductance
and the 3rd coil inductance with the capacitance of the top-load.  Or is
it just the 3rd coil and its top-load giving the resonant frequency.  and
how is this frequency produced.  Is the driver circuit frequency the same
as the resonant frequency of the 3rd coil and it is just having the
voltage increased by the secondary which is feeding the 3rd coil or what
As you can see I am baffled by this and my paper is due Tuesday (at least
it is not Monday) my paper is about tesla and how he did some of the
things that he did and i am trying to describe how his magnifiers work and
some of his other inventions like the induction motor and the normal tesla
coil etc.

many thanks jay