Re: V11.1 for JAVATC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 02:27:27 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: V11.1 for JAVATC (fwd)

Hi Matt,

Hopefully you saw my correction regarding LTR values and bps, but this
does not affect the question you asked. I never said "efficient", I said
there's little difference between 120 and 240 bps regarding sparklength.
In the sense of how you asked the question, I assume you believe 240 bps
would be inefficient? It's not "inefficient" and yes it does fire at 240
bps (as long as your cap charge and presentation is set correctly; the
same is true for 120 bps operation).

But to your statement about "zero volts at every other presentation";
this would only be true if you forced the firing position at peak and
zero crossing (which you would find doesn't work very well for 120 or
240 bps). SRSG's at 120 bps will be positioned to fire along the 60Hz
cycle after peak by some amount. The same is true for 240 bps. Your
never firing at zero crossing. When running 240 bps, you'll find it to
run best right about when the voltage crosses the current (which is 90
deg out of phase). In practice for 240 bps, the presentations are set to
fire between 20 and 45 degrees after and before voltage peak. Something
worthy of noting is the VI product at these points (this is when it is
highest).

Here's a chart Jeff sent to the list many years ago regarding srsg
timing. Note the blue triangles which will help visualize the situation.
It shows 120, 240, and 480 bps.

http://www.classictesla.com/temp/kva_srsg_timing_chart.gif

Take care,
Bart

PS: There really is little difference between 120 and 240 bps operation.
120 bps might get you an inch more on say a 35" streamer. Of course,
just like every other aspect of coiling, if your cap is too big for 240
bps (or NST too small), then don't expect to get your moneys worth. As a
matter of fact, if a coiler were to use the same cap size and the same
NST comparing to say 120 bps, any bps higher than 120 would be less
efficient right off the bat. That is not an accurate comparison (apples
and oranges). The cap charge is what "must" be equal for a comparison.
In otherwords, you fire at the same charged voltage but at the higher
bps. Easier said than done.