Re: Lightning strikes Sears Tower (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:43:54 -0500
From: Dr. John W. Gudenas <comsciprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Lightning strikes Sears Tower (fwd)

Hi Jim
Off topic, but a unique experience.
I left Argonne Lab to join AMOCO (when it was AMOCO ) in the then new
Standard Oil building  (now owned by an insurance company) located at
200 East Randolph  over looking lake Michigan.
This building is essentially just as tall as the Sears Tower, albeit
it does not have an observation deck. While the exact year escapes
me, this was when high speed data links were problematic.

One technique used then to establish high speed data communication
involved building your own line of sight microwave network and
obviously if your organization built one of the tallest buildings in
the world it made life easier.
I was part of the technical group that designed and contracted a
point to point  microwave data communication link from Chicago to Des
Moines. This operation took me to the top of the building until all
was installed by the contractor. Imagine standing on the top of the
Sears Tower and having a four foot wall to lean over that separated
you from the edge. Yow!

Anyhow, there were lightning rods all over the place with heavy cable
that went to a central ground cable. I don't really know where  and
what that cable was connected to but it worked. It may have been
connected to the steel building frame or it may have run 80 stories
direct to an earth ground. I simply don't know.

I had three floors of IBM mainframes and numerous remote terminals
located throughout the building. There were frequent strikes to the
building during thunder storms and nothing would be disturbed by them.
Quite frankly,  static sparks from "static free" carpeting caused
more problems for remote terminals then. I grew bored with managing
projects and went back and picked up my Ph.D. Research and teaching
is a lot more fun!
John

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science