Re: Soljacic wins $10k MIT Young Scholar Award (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 13:45:37 -0300
From: Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Soljacic wins $10k MIT Young Scholar Award (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> [...]
It's not nonsense. But it is nothing new, and doesn't seem to be
practical to have the transmitter and the
receiver having sizes of the same magnitude of the distance between
them, to have reasonable amounts
of energy transferred.
The basic idea is to have a resonant transmitter generating high voltage
in an antenna, that couples
capacitively (essentially) to an identical receiver, that converts the
low-current, high-voltage signal
 received trough the capacitance between the antennas to usable levels
of voltage and current again.
The transmitter and the receiver antennas are kept small relative to the
wavelength used to avoid
significant radiation. Everything happens within the "local field" of
the receiver and transmitter.
I am making some experiments with a system using grounded transmitter
and receiver, that easily
transmits 0.25-0.5 of the input power to a few meters away. Curious
demonstration, but the amount
of wire used is much greater than the necessary to transport the power
directly...

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz