Re: mysterious coil failure (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:58:26 -0600
From: resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mysterious coil failure (fwd)

You need to check your coeff. of coupling and usually keep it below 0.12 for
most classic spark gap coils.  Some of my coils run best with greatest spark
output at .08 to 0.1 range.  A local Univ. or tech college with a storage
scope and sig gen can help you do this.  The equations and procedures are in
the Tesla List Archives.

If your coeff. of coupling is producing a "double hump" then your coupling
is too tight, energy is being wasted, and your coil will hit HV peaks at two
points --- sometimes not at the end of the sec.

This produces tracking and eventually destruction of the coil.

Also, be sure to always sand both interior and exterior of any coilform
prior to winding.  Also use some small acrylic baffles approx 6-8 inches
down from each end in the sec.  Silicone into place with GE Silicone II  ---
available at most hardware stores.

Dolph's AC-43 has much greater anti-tracking properties than polyurethane,
and it's price is reasonable if you consider the amount of repair time that
is required when a coil fails.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corp.
www.resonanceresearch.com