Re: Current Distribution Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 21:08:28 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Current Distribution Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

Hi All,

>Inductance is NOT dependent on voltage or current, it is a physical property like length or width and exists whether or not any voltage or current is present.

Inductance is rather an ambiguous term. The property of inductance exist
without any change, but without change, it is only a property or an
ability, and nothing more. There is no induction without change. There
is only the calculated inductance based on the size and shape of the
conductor.

All this can easily get taken out of context. Does inductance change for
a length of a conductor. Yes it does. Winding a conductor into a coil
will increase it's self inductance.

If we induce a current across an entire coil and mentally break up the
coil into several segments, the total inductance will be the net sum of
all segments. But, there is more than coil size and shape that plays a
role for changing the inductance. If there is "something" that has the
ability to alter the "property" of inductance, then the net inductance
will change. When the field changes, the flux density changes. This
change in flux density will alter the induced voltage. Each segment will
have different values of induced voltage (the reactance of each section
will be different one from the other), but the net inductance is still
the total of all segments.

Now imagine high frequency where the usable current carrying geometry of
the wire is changing and currents are disproportionate. Each segment
will have a different inductance than the next because the "property" or
"ability" to induce a voltage has been changed by the new geometry and
the time varying magnetic field is varying the distribution of current
within the conductor. The result is a decrease in the net inductance of
all segments. The inductance has decreased.

That's my 2 cents.
Take care,
Bart