Re: [TCML] Teslathons??? (Australian)

-----Original Message-----

Tough to say... on the one hand, there's the whole thing of you're held to a level of responsibility commensurate with your background (i.e. if I try to help some injured person, I'd not be held to the same standard as a MD)

OTOH, who's to say what the qualifications might be.

>They don't exactly make a qualification card that says 'I know what I'm doing.. ' (though there have been many instances where I wish I had one)

A lot of times the legal qualifications have nothing to do with actual demonstrated competence, but more with trade protectionism.  For instance, only certificated electricians can do certain types of work in California, a law pushed through by the IBEW (Intl Brotherood of Electrical Workers), which certification requires, among other things, a period of apprenticeship and attendance at certified training classes (offered by, of all things, your friendly neighborhood union local).

This leads to the interesting thing that when I called up the state to ask whether I, as a licensed Professional Engineer(also requiring some 6 years of work experience, plus a couple of gnarly tests, etc.), was exempt, the answer was "NO, you'd have to hire a qualified electrician to do the work.. You could design it and inspect it after it's done, but not do it."

There is an exemption for homeowners doing work on their own home.

>But then again, I've seen alot of EE's that don't have a clue..
>
>I guess it's all in how you split the hairs..

Sure.. they could create a nice bureaucracy for Tesla Coiling/High Voltage Experiment Licenses, with testing, liability bonds, annual license fees, etc.   Hmmmm. maybe we should start agitating for this at the federal level, we could get ourselves grandfathered in.  It's just too dangerous for casual commoners to start fooling with, thinkofthechildren, if it saves just one life it's worth it, etc.  <grin>

Jim (future HV experimenter Licensee...)