To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:57 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Large Plsma Tube

Dave,
    All the globes pictures on my site are a few Torr unless otherwise
specified, I may be able to get a closer number if you let me know which
pictures you are particularly interested in.  Argon works extremely well
at atmospheric pressure, and gives a very intense light blue color
(almost white, I have a video of it somewhere on my page in a juice jug,
note there is no lid on the video, the argon just stays in there because
it is heavy).  There is no risk of implosion for the glass tube itself
(do to its shape), but depending on the material used for the ends there
may be.  I found Torr seal on the web too, but this epoxy is not that, I
cannot afford Torr seal!  This stuff costs about $5 a tube, not $80, and
is made by loctite.  You could get away without it if you are going for
atmospheric pressure, or even a slight vacuum, but why risk it?  you
would be able to run it with almost any TC, but if you touched it, most
likely sparks will leap through the glass, this happened on my first
Plasma globe prototype.  The sparks were not extremely painful, but I'm
sure they were not good, they would grab my finger an inch from the
glass!  Good luck!

Scott Bogard.

David N. Van Doren wrote:
Thanks Scott - Those globes on the link, what pressure are they being
run at.
Getting gas is not a problem. Designing and building the fixture isn't
a problem.
My only concerns are, can I do this with out vacuum and what kind of
power will be needed. I suppose that if I need a power source other
than what I have I'll have to decide if
I want to buy/build such a thing. And vacuum scares me with such a
large GLASS tube. I don't particularly want to put an implosion gage
around it. I know from past experience that surface tracking on glass
goes for ever on minimal voltage in air. With my old 6kw TC at very
low power just barely ticking over the sparkgap it would track the in
side of this tube with quite a bit of air arc out the other side.

Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "David N. Van Doren"

Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:04 AM
Subject: [TCML] Large Plsma Tube

Hello All

I have a large glass tube 6" o.d. with .25" walls and 5 feet long. (
from and old blueprint machine) And it's just begging to be made in to
a large Plasma tube. Somewhere I saw a list of gasses and their
conductivities and can't seem to find it. Does any body know where it
might be? If any of you have any experience or info that might help
with this project I'd greatly appreciate the boost in the learning curve.
I have several HV sources that I hope will be usable for this project
such as an 85KV x-ray transformer or an 50 KVDC power supply and of
course my Tesla coil ( an OBIT powered magnifier)
This has the potential (sic) to be a very beautiful display.

Thanks
Dave