Re: [TCML] can you connect the secondary *directly* to the primary?

Lots of great info there, thanks very much - the cap is actually 10nF 20kV
(2 20nF 10kV caps in series).  I would imagine that a 1uF HV capacitor would
be as big as a trash can.

I had ordered some 28AWG magnet wire for the coil, I lost count after about
1500 turns.  From what I have been reading, the small diameter coils aren't
in much favor - and I should probably get it to around 3" or 4".  The other
thing that I have been hearing a lot of here, and in books and websites is
that people are quoting lengths of wire - I think I remember Tesla writing
that you want to have a length of wire about 1/4 the free space wavelength
of your intended resonance (I'm quoting from my memories of the biography,
and I'm probably misquoting).

I know that NST's are easy to find, MOT transformers are probably just as
easy, but are there other sources of transformers that would be better
suited for larger coils that didn't involve finding a scrap X-ray machine or
something?

The other thing I have been concerned about was about bad things I might be
doing to the power in my house (me blowing up the TV in my house would not
make me a popular person).  Do any of you adjust the power factor of your
mains-side transformer circuit?