RE: [TCML] vacuum tube coil

Clive,
     VTTCs do not make sparks as long as a conventional TC for a given power input, there parts are also more expensive (if you are planning on building a small coil, I won't say that is true for a large system)  The wiring is also more complicated.  The advantage is that they emit less RF interference.  Here is an exert from an e-mail I got from the FCC consumer center regarding the legality of Tesla coils.

Spark gaps are horribly inefficient wide-band generators and were replaced by
the narrow band vacuum tube oscillator.

So, That is the advantage, they are a narrow band emitter.  I hope this answers your question.

Scott Bogard.