Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 22:34:32 -0600
From: Gary Peterson <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text? (fwd)

> The receiving length of wire including that to Earth seems to be perhaps
> 1/5 of the distance away from the transmitting coil so of course it is a
> huge antenna picking up standard EM radiation. . . . Like at 500 feet an
> 108 foot earth wire was used.

The 108' given for the ground wire length is a typographical error.  The
correct figure is 55'.

As for the possible reception of standard radio waves, the ground wire was
lying on the ground in an orientation approximately on an extension of an
imaginary line connecting the SSTC transmitter location and the well casing,
and thus nearly at a right angle to the standard radio wave front that might
have been present.  It can be assumed that the resonator itself was not
receiving any significant amount of such wave energy, although it could have
been acting as a loading coil for the short vertical conductor and elevated
terminal above it.

> . . . and resonating the coil primary or secondary (they seem confused in
> the description . . .

When speaking of a passive Tesla coil receiving transformer the helical
resonator is referred to as the "primary" and the shorter coil of heavier
wire as the "secondary."

> The fact that the radio receiver did not receive is not surprising when it
> was already stated that "It is noted that the transmitter was almost
> certainly out of tune due to instability of the pulse generator". . .

I went back and forth between the SSTC transmitter and the radio receiver
during the time of the "radio-receiver-only-at-60-meters" observation to
make sure the SSTC was in tune.

> . . . Depending on the type of MOSFET driver the frequency may be a fixed
> oscillator . . .

The SSTC driver circuit  consisted of an inexpensive "Interdesign"
square-wave pulse generator (see www.teslaradio.com/images/000_0221-1.jpg )
connected with coaxial cable to an H11L3GE optoisolator, connected to an
IRF640 power MOSFET.  Please see www.teslaradio.com/pages/sstc.htm for the
circuit diagram and www.teslaradio.com/images/000_0210-1.jpg for the old
driver board itself.

> . . . or based on feedback from the secondary output and hence able to
> vary.

Its interesting that you mentioned the feedback or regenerative type of SSTC
driver circuit as this type might be found useful in the construction of
active Tesla coil receiving apparatus.

> None of this proves Tesla type non Hertzian transmission . . .

That's right.  The fact that the radio receiver alone was unable to detect
any "radio waves" at a distance of only 60 meters, means that much more
aggressive measures have to be taken in the construction of the standard
radio wave receiving antenna that is used to take the SSTC transmitter
"standard radio wave output" measurements.  Then the Tesla coil RF energy
transmission-reception test distance has to be extended out to at least a
few wavelengths and the whole set of measurements taken again before
anything close to a meaningful conclusion can be drawn.

Gary Peterson
P.O. Box 2001
Breckenridge, CO 80424-2001
Phone: 970-453-9293