Re: coax (grounding shield & AC?)

Hi Peter,

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=IEESEM002001000156000P11000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes

and I wrote:

>Hi all,

> Although I realize that the Blumlein effect has been documented
> in certain situations, I have personally been using x-ray cables as
> transmission lines from my pig to my primary tank circuit in my
> big coils for years and have NEVER experienced it to my know-
> ledge. X-ray cable is basically coax cable "on steroids" that is
> generally rated at around 75 kVDC. As a matter of fact, I use
> the "inside"conductor as the "hot" and the outer braided shielding
> as the ground return currently on my Green Monster system.
> http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/drieben/
> This means that I only have to run one HV line from the pig
> to the tank circuit. BTW, I wonder how are the utility power
> companies able to run miles of primary lines under ground and
> avoid any of the ill Blumlein effects since the lines for this
> are obviously shielded and grounded?

I'm really gald to finally see someone who agrees with my viewpoint
on this matter and was able to more eloquently explain the reasoning
behind their position than I could :^) IMHO, you have pretty well
summed up why coax is NOT bad to use for the transmission line
from the transformer to the coil's tank circuit.

David Rieben