Re: 1/4" copper tubing?

I think it's just a case of miscommunication now. I can see where what I wrote might actually further confuse things:

>Spend five minutes in the plumbing department of any hardware store
>and you'll see what I mean.
>
>Or, check any standard reference for mechanical engineering data,
>like Machinery's Handbook.

LOL, I work with pipe all the time in my day job, we're on the same page. :)

>Here are the nominal ("designated") pipe sizes for metal pipe
>(doesn't matter if its steel, brass, aluminum, stainless steel, etc),
>and the actual outside diameter:
>
>Pipe size        OD
>1/8"            .405"
>1/4"            .540"
>3/8"            .675"
>1/2"            .840
>Etc, etc.
>
>So, you can see that 1/8" pipe does not have an OD of 1/8".

    I didn't say that it did. :)
But I can see why it could have confused the issue instead of clarifying it. What I should have said is "standard pipe is *designated* by the outside diameter". I was trying to point out that within the same standard pipe size, the OD remains the same for all pipes, while the ID changes as the thickness changes. I was trying to correct this point from the preceding post. As you have shown, the OD is of course nowhere near the "nominal" size. But neither is the ID, except for extremely thick pipe!

-Phil LaBudde

See what's free at <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>AOL.com.