Re: 1/4" copper tubing?

Original poster: "huil888" <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Phil -

Sorry, but this is completely wrong.

Spend five minutes in the plumbing department of any hardware store and you'll see what I mean.

Or, check any standard reference for mechanical engineering data, like Machinery's Handbook.

Here are the nominal ("designated") pipe sizes for metal pipe (doesn't matter if its steel, brass, aluminum, stainless steel, etc), and the actual outside diameter:

Pipe size        OD
1/8"            .405"
1/4"            .540"
3/8"            .675"
1/2"            .840
Etc, etc.

So, you can see that 1/8" pipe does not have an OD of 1/8".

Likewise for PVC pipe. The actual OD for "6 inch schedule 35 SDR pipe" (very commonly used for secondary coil forms in medium sized Tesla coils) is 6.275", with a .180" wall thickness, leaving an ID of 5.915".

Or, nominal 8" diameter PVC pipe has a actual OD of 8.400". The wall thickness will vary according to pressure and temperature rating, but all the fittings, etc are based on the "designated" pipe size, with its corresponding OD.

Regards,
Scott Hanson