flyback transistor choice

Original poster: "Scott Bogard" <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm sure sombody out there will be able to help me. I built a few of those simple flyback drivers with the single 2N3055 transistor and I have experienced a few problems. They are a bit too weak to drive my 12in argon filled plasma globe, unless I parallel 4 transistors, and that blows out my step down transformer (it pulls like 6 Amps, the transformer is rated for 2, and a single transistor pulls about 1.8 A). Is there a better transistor I can use? or will I be forced to get a huge step down transformer. Any input would be appreciated, and if this is the wrong list for this, I can go elsewhere, it is no problem! (but I'm sure sombody out there knows what to do).
Scott Bogard
P.S. the frequency shifts all over the place with just one, making consistant plasma impossible at low pressures, but this goes away with 3 or more transistors. Also, I need a transistor that won't make an audible scream, as my sister will kill me whenever I come home (she hates the noise with a passion, I'm not too fond of it eithor, which is why I like the 3055, it is reasonably quiet). Thanks.

Mortgage refinance is hot 1) Rates near 30-yr lows 2) Good credit get intro-rate 4.625%* https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5f&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=743