Re: A few problems..

Hi Matt,

I built a small coil and used six supports. I thought that was marginal and have since used eight. I think you will be happy with the looks of 8 supports.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "M G" <gt4awd@xxxxxxxxx>

Yesterday I took apart the coil in preparation for building the portable base. I will also be making a new flat spiral primary coil, using 50' of 1/4" copper tubing, and 1" PVC for insulated supports. Found the tubing at Lowes for a really good price compared to the other stores. It was only $29 dollars including tax. The 1/4" tubing seems like it would be easier to shape than the previous 10ga. solid copper wire used for the first primary. Should I get by fine only using four supports with notches cut in them to hold the coil turns, or consider using eight? I'm trying to get the new coil as even as possible so any tips on winding it would be great.

I plan on taking apart the old primary coil and using the wire to make a bi-polar coil setup. I might make a new secondary for the setup using the 780' spool of 24AWG magnet wire I still have, or possibly just design it for an easy exchange of the secondary coil I already have onto both coil setups. It will be a while before I start any work on the bi-polar coil though.

I was wondering what most people use for the end caps on the their secondary coils? What I did was use two water catch plates for pots, and cut them to size. The problem is they are made out of the one type of poly plastic that epoxy does not bond to. Everything plastic I can find, that would make a good end cap, is made out of this same type of poly plastic.

When I was taking apart the coil I had just removed the nut off the end cap bolt, and someone knocked the secondary off, unsealing what little bond the epoxy had made. Thats the second time the secondary has fell from a good distance, and it has held up fine. As long as it the wire does not get cut on something sharp. What I found on the inside has me a little worried. A good burn mark on the wall of the PVC that was the ground side of the secondary. Here's a link to an image. <http://img66..us/img66/3541/1000204rc7.jpg>http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/3541/1000204rc7.jpg Any idea why that would happen or what I should do to prevent it?

Thanks,

Matt G.