RE: My second coil attempt, advice?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Scott:

I would agree with your suspicion that your gap is the weakest point.  I
would suspect any gap that has a small or pointed arcing surface.  With
the power that a 6-pack MOT PSU packs, I agree that a rotary gap is
needed, but I'm not sure that you'd see a benefit with a sync gap.  With
that much power available, I think you need a higher break rate than
120BPS, so I'd consider an async RSG.

Another suggestion would be to consider increasing both the primary and
secondary inductance to increase the primary surge impedance and cut gap
losses.  But I'd start with the gap.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA