RE: budget caps (I did a quick test today)

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Mike:

The problem that you will face with an HDPE bottle cap is not dielectric
puncture voltage.  The trouble is the corona that inevitably will form
at the top edge where the foil stops, is not something that a plastic
dielectric can withstand.  A glass bottle is much more tolerant of the
heat and UV that such corona inflicts, but any plastic will quickly go
pffft!  The reason that plastic is successfully used in MMC's is that
the voltage across any one pair of plates is limited to <1kV, to prevent
the formation of corona.

Most MMC caps are actually two caps in series, to further reduce the
voltage per stage.  The point at which corona forms is called the corona
inception voltage, and this voltage is not really dependant on the
dielectric thickness.  I think the corona inception voltage is something
like 500-600V, but like all things, we tend to push that somewhat.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA