Trademark Humor

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Possibly off-topic, though it makes me wonder who owns the trademark for 'Tesla Coil.'

Apparently the legal department for Taser International has recently learned to Google for their name, and they're now engaging in a wide campaign to eradicate all unauthorized uses of the word 'Taser' from the internet.

Back in 1991, SRL and myself built a device that we dubbed the 'Taser Cannon' (i.e. Lorentz Gun) since it used dart-driven seed wires to initiate a long, high-current plasma channel in air. The system can be viewed here: http://www.lod.org/Projects/Other/index.htm

Some time around 1997, TASER International trademarked the word TASER.
Last week, they issued a legal threat to LOD over our use of the word on the website. The legal document can be read here:
http://www.lod.org/Projects/Other/legal.htm

I immediately agreed to their request, and now use the more accurate term 'Lorentz Gun' on the LOD website. It's hilarious that they considered the Lorentz Gun to be competition in the first place, and the last paragraph of the legal threat is nothing but pure drama. It's clear that they didn't even bother to comprehend the description of the Lorentz Gun.

So, who *does* own the rights to 'Tesla Coil?'

-GL