RE: primary position (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 07:51:15 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: primary position (fwd)

> Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:41:47 -0400
> From: Marko Ruban <Marko@xxxxxxxx>
> To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: primary position
>
> All of the cylindrical secondary designs I've seen (which is not
many),

It seems to me that >99% of all coils that I've seen DO use cylindrical
secondaries...

> place the primary coil at the bottom of secondary.  Would placing the
> primary at the center of secondary improve TC efficiency, by letting
the
> secondary take advantage of the lower part of magnetic field produced
by
> primary?

Two problems with this.  Since the base of the secondary is grounded,
the mid-point would be at a potential of half its peak voltage, and it
would want to arc to the nearby primary coil.

Also, the pri-sec coupling would likely be too high, resulting in racing
arcs on the secondary coil.

Bipolar coils, where neither end of the secondary is grounded, do have
the primary at the secondary mid-point.

Gary Lau
MA, USA