RE: Wiring two 15KV 240V/50Hz Transformers in Series for use with 110V (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 01:25:48 +0000
From: Jeff Behary <jeff_behary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: jeff_behary@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Wiring two 15KV 240V/50Hz Transformers in Series for use with 110V
    (fwd)

Hey Chris,

You can get an industrial control transformer rated for 1 KW fairly cheap -
normally less than $100.  They come in handy for a lot of experiments, and
can handle being over-powered for short periods of time.  Most of them are
smaller than a neon transformer (but just as heavy) yet can transform either
110/220 - 220/440V depending on how you wire them.  They come in handy in
general for other small appliances too.  Before we had 220 lines installed
in our home I was using one to power our eastern european tea kettle (made
by the former "Tesla" Radio company) and coffee pot.  (They boil 1 litre of
water in less than 2 minutes!)

http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/Forgotten_Tesla_Technologies/TESLA_Radio/images/Tesla_Radio_2.jpg

Also, the fact that you can wire them and get 440V is also a nice bonus.  I
have an additional posting regarding Tesla Coils powered directly from line
voltages that you may want to try if you go this route...

Jeff Behary, c/o
The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com