Re: [] conical secondary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:25:06 -0700
From: wysock@xxxxxxx
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: William.C.Wysock@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [] conical secondary (fwd)

Hello Finn and all.

It has been quite a while since I've written to the List.  This business about conical
secondary coils has caused me to now reply.  Finn, you are right.  winding a conical
secondary coil (regardless of size) from the small diameter end to the large end
is the only way to go.  There are techniques that one can use to support the first
10 or so windings to be held in place as you continue to wind.

Why use a conical coil form?  It has nothing to do with "old classic designs".
Rather, it has to do with placing the greatest amount of the secondary coil
inductance in closer proxcimity to the primary coil.  Think about it.  There is
another advantage to a conical secondary coil design.  That is, reduced
corona leakage stress at the top of the coil due to its shape (not withstanding
whatever "top load" electrode geometry you chose to use).

Proof of how successful this secondary coil design can be?  Just look at the
Griffith Observatory coil on my web site at: http://www.ttr.com.  Also please
see the two one-to-one copies I've made of this coil: GPO-1 and GPO-2.
There is also a (mini) version of GPO-2 that is linked to my web site.
All these coils are up and running in a public venue setting.

It interesting to note, that Tesla himself, in his first (medium size) resonator coil
at his 5th Ave. laboratory before it burned down, ( see the image of this coil
in the Beograd book "Tribute to Tesla"), and also his first secondary coil design
at Colorado Springs (in the book Colorado Springs Notes), were also conical
secondary coils.

When it comes to design details of "what is the most efficient form of r.f.
resonator coil system"?  It goes like this:

Least efficient (but most practical design to build): cylindrical secondary.
More efficient (but difficult to wind): conical secondary.
Most efficient (but the hardest to build): pancake secondary and primary.

My friend and colleague Jeff Behary, has been making many new breakthroughs
in this last area of investigation.  Please see his web site at:
http://www.turnofthecenturyelectrotheripymusuem.com.

Best regards,
Bill Wysock.