Re: variac voltage out (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:06:27 -0600
From: Hydrogen18 <hydrogen18@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: variac voltage out (fwd)

might work, but I wouldnt want to try it. the lines of flux per sq inch in
the transformer would double so unless this was a very conservatively
designed transformer I doubt it'd be very useful for any substantial current
at 280 volts output

Perhaps a more thoroughly educated member of the board can correct, but I
beleive the saturation density can be easily found by applying low voltage
AC current across one end of the variac and the wiper and then turning the
wiper so that it reduces the number of turns until saturation is reached.
Then with core measurements and counting the number of turns and some simple
formula the exact density at which saturation occurs can be calculated.

Of course, the real question which arises to me is the ambiguity of what
exactly the defining charateristic of saturation of laminated iron core
transformers is that can ascertained with common electrical measurement
devices.

Eric