Re: Three phase Jacob's Ladder exists in Santa Barbara (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 17:15:39 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Three phase Jacob's Ladder exists in Santa Barbara (fwd)

At 04:14 PM 6/3/2007, Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: List moderator <mod1@xxxxxxxxxx>
>

>I don't have the NSTs anymore, or a three-phase source, other than renting
>generators.

SOunds like a great application for a rotary converter, especially
for NSTs. Get a 1-2 horse 230V three phase motor.. (you're not trying
to get mechanical work out of it, so the voltage isn't as
important.)  You could probably get it to always start just by
15A, 120V service without too much trouble.

Might even be able to do the phasing with just capacitors and no
rotary converter, given the huge inductance of the NST.

>  I'd like to build a larger version of it sometime.  Now that we
>have a quarter acre lot, that seems more likely to happen.  I made a 35kW
>Ladder back in 2001 for Burning Man.  it was 8 feet tall, 14 inch gap at the
>top.  Worked well and the sound is excellent.

That's serious rental generator scale.