Re: larger than resonant (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 11:38:05 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: larger than resonant (fwd)

Hi Scott,

As you already know, the coil needs more turns (only 340). But, I looked
at the coil "as is". I modeled the coil at your tune point of 6 turns
and inserted a strike ring as a grounded object and 3 other rings to
represent the 3 unused outer turns (they have a slight effect as an extC
to the overall frequency). Here is the graphic representation from Javatc.
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/sb340.gif

The reason I took the time to throw the grounded objects in there was to
back calc the bottle caps. The system frequency is about 710 kHz. For a
6 turn tap position, the tank cap needs to be 6.28nF, so if your using 3
caps wired in parallel, then each jar is about 2.1nF, which is not what
I expected. This indicates a wall thickness abut 0.2" (assuming
dielectric constant of 7). I expected something nearer to 3.2nF per jar.
But, it is what it is. "If" your 6 turn tap position is near resonance,
then 3 caps in parallel are 6.28nF.

BTW, the difference in the 3 extra turns from an extC component is 2.5
kHz and the strike ring is 10 kHz. So not much affect at all (like I
said, I just wanted to back calc the tank cap as close as possible).

I tuned the coil for 2 caps (4.2nF) and the primary would tap at about
7.25 turns. For 1 cap (2.1nF) at 10 turns. So, you could get 2 or 3 jars
to work, but not 1. I think your running STR anyway, so the 3 jars would
probably do better. You don't gain much between 6 turns and 7.25 turns.

Well, how to make it better? Wind a new secondary: Example 3.5" x 17.5"
using #28 for 1200 turns. You would want to rebuild the primary also 4"
x 16" using 0.25" tubing. This coil would require a 0.0125uF tank cap.
So, you could probably get away with a single string of 12 caps using
0.15uF CD type (considering the OBIT's are only 10kVrms). About $40 or
so for the caps.

See, a whole new coil (but you get to keep the topload).

For the coil at hand, the I see that might be of benefit is to replace
the needle gap for a nice airblown pipe gap of some type. With the power
your running, you really should be seeing between 40" and 50" sparks. I
built a large coil once which was short in the h/d category (about 700
turns). What really helped that coil out was to add length. Because it
was sonotube, I literally added 12" to the length (took some work to
do). This helped in more ways than just h/d and secondary inductance, it
also allowed me to use more primary turns for the same capacitance which
helped increase surge impedance and allowed finer tuning. A new rsg also
helped a great deal.

Take care,
Bart