Re: PVC vs. sonotube, (was wondering ) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 13:15:40 EDT
From: FutureT@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: PVC vs. sonotube, (was wondering )

In a message dated 6/3/2007 12:01:37 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hi  all,
>      I know the best material to use as a coil  form would be either HDPE
or styrene, but if pvc is the best available  choice,  would milling grooves
lenthwise down the form make it less  lossy?   I'm sure it would be a pain in
the butt to do, but wonder  if it would be worth the trouble.
>      Also,  I  cannot seem to find info on whether a sonotube would be a
better choiice to  reduce losses in the form.
>    Mike

Mike,

In reality, PVC is not very lossy for TC use.  You won't see any  difference
in performance using PVC
vs. styrene in a disruptive TC.  Even for a tube coil, which is more
sensitive to losses, you
probably won't see a difference in performance.  The biggest potential
problem with PVC
is carbon tracking and burning.  This only occurs if the coil is  overcoupled
or subject to
flashovers, arcing, etc.  Some folks advocate baking and sealing the  pvc to
keep moisture
out.  In 90% of the cases, folks don't bother with that.  So to  answer your
question milling
grooves is not worth the trouble.   Sonotube can be very bad  depending on
how it's made.
I tried it for a tube coil and it got hot.  Performance was  miserable.

John