Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:03:56 -0400
From: Skip Greiner <skipg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

Matt...A couple of my comments below

Tesla list wrote:

> [...]
Interestingly, the unpowered resonance of the coil is approximately the
same frequency as the 1/4 wavelength of the wire....even with all of the
bends, just as JAVATC predicted. I actually designed the coil to be at a
slightly higher frequency knowing full well that the discharges would
lower the overall frequency. I expected the powered resonance to be
lower due to the discharges.

>2) As the streamers form, they drop the resonant frequency of the  secondary.
>The streamers themselves become a constantly growing and shrinking  topload,
>as they form, grow, disappear, and new ones re-grow. When there is no  other
>topload, the percentage by which the streamers affect the  frequency is
>greater. Since, when anything is happening, the frequency  is constantly changing,
>what is the relevance of the wavelength at which nothing  is happening?
>
>Matt D.

I can find no change in the frequency of the coil when powered at
different levels that cause the discharges to be at different lengths.
The scope gives a pretty clear indication that the oscillations are pure
and not varible.
Skip