RE: New Neon Sign Power Supplies (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:19:01 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: New Neon Sign Power Supplies (fwd)

Chris,
     You would have to give us a link to the site to know for sure, but the
dead giveaway to a solid state transformer will be the case (it will be
plastic, instead of metal).  Also check for it to say 20kHz or something
like that, they don't always include this information however, but usually.
You can indeed use high frequency power supplies for a Tesla coil however,
but they must be rectified.  These guys built their own HV HF power supply,
pretty cool!
http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/ccps1.htm
Unless the transformers say DC out, than they are most likely high frequency
AC (DC, unless it was pulsed, would cause ion migration in the glass of the
tube (and make it weak), so it is not ideal for an NST, also, rectification
would provide only half the peak to peak voltage as AC, also making it less
than ideal, so I'm pretty sure, these NSTs are high frequency AC).  Good
luck.
Scott Bogard.

http://newlivehotmail.com